Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Challenge Yourself!

Are your workouts getting easier? Are you not as exhausted after a workout? If you are trying to lose weight and hit a plateau, you might want to consider upping the ante on your workouts! Here are some great ways to take your workouts to the next level.

How to challenge yourself!

Extend your cardio time or push yourself harder during your cardio workout.

Easier said than done, but trust me, adding more time/effort to your cardio routine might be just what you need. Do you normally keep the elliptical at a lower resistance? Up it by five points or more, or stay on the machine for an extra 10 minutes. You could even do both!

Add weights or intensify your weight routine.

Do you weight train? If not, it might be time to start. 

According to an article in Women's Health Magazine, women who lifted heavier weights for a shorter amount of reps burned more calories. Plus, more muscle = more fat-burning power throughout the day. It keeps your metabolism revved and ready to go!

Mix it up!

Try a new group exercise class, try the elliptical instead of the bike, try the rowing machine, try a new running route, bike instead of walk! There are so many different fitness options out there, and there are so many ways to amp up your routine and get yourself feeling challenged again. 

I try to incorporate all different things into my workout. I try not to run too much because it's bad for my hips and I try to mix up my weight lifting routine. I try to take different classes and my yoga class focuses on different muscle groups each class. 

Remember variety keeps your muscles and metabolism in shape!

Sweat it up!

Katie



No comments:

Post a Comment