Tuesday, November 27, 2012

My Favorite Poses

Mostly every individual that practices yoga has a favorite yoga position. In case you aren't familiar with poses, I have included both the English and Sanskrit names.

I'm a huge lover of twists, binds and flexibility poses. Here are some of my favorites!


Upward Bow or Wheel // Urdhva Dhanurasana


This has been one of my favorite poses that I mastered back when I was a gymnast. It's the perfect "wake up in the morning stretch." Do I ever do it in the morning? Almost never. It is a great back stretch and chest opener. The further you push your chest outward, the deeper the stretch.

Pigeon // Eka Pada Rajakapotasana


Pigeon pose is one of my all-time favorites. I love how it helps to open my hips and inner thighs, which get really tight from running. I sometimes feel like I could stay in this pose forever.

 Bound Triangle // Baddha Trikonasana


Triangle pose with a bind is a great pose for tight hamstrings and back. It's a tough pose to accomplish, but when accompanied with a slow breath, I truly enjoy it.

Those are some of my favorite yoga poses. You can alway search modifications, especially if you are unfamiliar with yoga. I do recommend taking a yoga class so you know you are doing it correctly. 

These poses are obviously subject to change over time, you too, may find a pose that you used to love and you now hate or vice versa!

Twist, bend and breathe,

Katie


No comments:

Post a Comment